Tuesday, May 12, 2009

AUGUSTUS PABLO - lost dub LP


“When we were doing these things, it was just a one in the world thing. Everybody used to say our music is unfinished. I see dat and I make a music “Unfinished Melody” just fe dem.” Augustus Pablo ‘92

Dub creates a pleasant mental image, it is psychedelic music to dance to- Dub is reggae stripped down to it’s ingredients-

My world changed forever back in ’79 when I heard “King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown”- It’s the first dub I ever heard in my life (although “The Boxer” by Simon & Garfunkel climaxes into what could be New York’s very first ever dub workout)-

Pablo’s East Man Sound was in full effect, a minor key with a deep mood-
Timbales pound brutally as each instrument is featured briefly only to drift off in stereo over a deadly bass and drum-

At the time it seemed like Reggae made in an Afghan cave, a great fusion of Eastern harmonies with Jamaican music- Of course I immediately devoured any other Augustus Pablo or dub I could get my hands on-

This dub LP from Augustus Pablo comes from an acetate (or dubplate)- Major respect to Rice & Peas for these musics- The sound is crunchy but the music is an inspired set of Pablo rhythms- Also included are alternate versions of “Unfinished Melody” originally on dubplate-

BOOMING BASSLINES

http://www.badongo.com/file/14896955

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering why the first 9 tracks of this album are not properly named. Didn't they had a title or did you forgot to mention the track titles ?

    ReplyDelete